Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Some encouragement and insight I have found from Amy Carmichael. The more I read her stuff the more appreciation I have for her and the life she lived, she understood grief, suffering, love, hope and service among many many other things!

From Candles in the Dark.

I think the Lord must find it difficult to teach us that here have we no continuing city. "This is not your rest"; I often think that we know it, but we don't find it easy to live as if it were true. More and More I feel that we are what the Bible says we are - strangers and pilgrims. And all the things that happen are meant to emphasize that.
But the pilgrim's God is very close to you...through these days.

...He understands.
And the depression that follows pain He understands too. "My soul cleaveth to the dust" : no truer words were ever written. Sometimes just to know one is understood helps.

Don't let anything discourage you. Some may disappoint you- He was disappointed. You will find that nothing is too small for his regard. He will say things to you that you could not repeat - they would sound too small, too intimate- but they will be the joy and rejoicing of your heart.

Don't let your mind dwell on sadness as it saps the soul of strength. There is more blue sky overhead than clouds. The clouds will pass. I often think how sad we shall be at the end, if we have failed in joy. I don't want to fail.


1 comment:

  1. I love hearing another christian talk like this. Love you much daughter in love.

    ReplyDelete