Sunday, March 6, 2011

Back in the fall of this year I decided to look into pregnancy crisis clinics in the area for the purpose of finding one to volunteer at. About a year ago I had looked into it but didn't really find anything and also didn't really follow up on it other then an internet search. So this time around after searching again finding that the closest clinics were all at least 45 minutes away still decided to at least contact them and find out what they were all about. Sent them a request for more info and that a director from the clinic closest would contact me. Then I waited almost to the point of giving up on this clinic and starting the search anew they got back to me (it was about 2 months after the request was first sent) and set up an appointment for an interview and also just to meet and here what I was interested in doing and what they offered and what they were all about. That meeting took place then at the end of January and right away after first talking to the director (her name is Cindy) I felt really excited and that this was definitely going to be a good fit for me.
Before they let you come and start volunteering they have you go through roughly 24 hours of training spread out over 2 weeks. And the training was scheduled for the last week in Feb and first week in March....but then the "snow" came and if you didn't know this yet FYI Washington shuts down at the first sighting or even rumoring of glimmering and fluttering of flakes. Which in all fairness to Washingtonians is a good idea as no roads are a salted or plowed or sanded properly and everyone starts driving like a teenager who is driving on their own in snow and ice for the first time ever (lack of experience + potentially perilous conditions). We actually did drive in the mess of it and had a few stressful hours of driving to and from our destination. Minnesotians think spring time storm....just cold enough to slightly freeze, icy slush plus no salt or plows because in a day of two at most it will all melt away anyways.
All that to say the training got rescheduled :-)
Which for me the only difficulty in that was my planned in advance childcare (which included the 2 hour drive though icy terror to get it) for the all day training on friday was not available. But thanks to a friend who helped out at the last minute and a shortened day so i could get home in time for Judah to head off to work helped me get it covered...now all I have is tuesday evening left of training and then the rest will be completed at the center.
So once my training is complete, my commitment to the clinic will be 4 hours a week for a least a year and i am very excited to see what the Lord has in store for me through this all.
One thing that has really stuck out me in training had made me look at the whole prolife-prochoice debates is that if we would focus a little more on the women in need and not so much on the baby, as a side affect of that is the baby will be taken a care of... anyway i am sure this is very long and if you stuck with it I apologize for the disconnected thoughts and overly long sentences. I am super sleepy but wanted to get this out there before weeks pass with out anything being written. So here it is with more to come later when i am a little more conscious! Brandy

1 comment:

  1. How is that going?! It wasn't at all that long. Always interested to hear what is happening with you.

    ReplyDelete