Monday, March 21, 2011

Commitment

One day there was a hard thing to be done, and one of us didn't want to do it.
"I can't, " she said; but she added honestly, "at least, I don't like to!"
Now she was very fond of a certain hymn. " onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war," and her friend (Amma, of course!), who did not at all intend to give up doing this little difficult thing, began to sing it softly - only putting it rather differently:

Onward, Christian soldiers,
Sitting on the mats!
Nice and warm and cozy
Like little pussycats.
Onward, Christian soldiers,
Oh how brave are we!
Don't we do our fighting
Very comfortably?

She laughed at first; but soon she almost cried, for she saw not only the absurdity of it but the wrong of singing one thing and doing another.
So she and her friend knelt down together and asked God to make them true to their hymns and true to their prayers.
And then they sang this chorus:

From all fear of what men think or say,
Victory for me! Victory for me!
From ever fearing to speak, sing or pray,
Victory for me! Victory for me!
Lord, in Thy love and Thy power make me strong,
That all may know that to Thee I belong,
And when I'm tempted let this be my song,
Victory for me! Victory for me!

Amy Carmichael, "Fragments that Remain" ( Ch. 8 The Cross and The Commitment)

Oh Lord, Let me be true to my prayers and my words!

2 comments: